I can’t believe that I slacked off on posting anything for over a year. It would be reasonable to assume that maybe I haven’t been doing anything in the lab but I actually have stayed pretty busy over the past year. I was just very bad about posting anything. So it is time to do a brief recap and start fresh.
While I haven’t made much progress on my end goal of building a Mars rover style vehicle, I did do several entertaining projects.
- Built a half-decent vehicle frame from aluminum stock and HDPE
- Created a CAD drawing and 3D print of my great-grandfather’s airplane design (http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printing-a-Bizarre-Aircraft-Design-from-the-190/)
- Modified a automatic sprinkler system that is based on a Raspberry Pi to light an LED based on which zone is active
- Learned how to etch my own Printed Circuit Boards
- Built Santa’s Game o’ Chance for Teri’s Christmas present
- Built a testbed to measure the accuracy of different stepper motor drive mechanisms. Eventually I hope to use this knowledge to build a 3D printer and/or a CNC router.
- Caught a motor driver on fire (see previous bullet)
- Reverse engineered some digital calipers, soldered in lines to the circuit board to get output data and hooked them up an Arduino to record measurements (see two bullets ago)
- Received a Logic Analyzer for Christmas and learned how to use it
Besides these, there were several other smaller projects that kept me busy. So, I can’t say I wasted my time. I had fun and learned stuff.
Now comes the test… will I remember to write up any more projects before another year passes? Time will tell.